Angry Tunes: Chicken Soup for the Pissed-Off Soul?
I got mad the other day. I don’t normally get mad. I barely ever let anything get to me. Like, almost never. Once a year. Maybe.
So what pissed me off? You’d think that it was some kind of tragic injustice in the world; or maybe something near and dear was stolen; or worse yet, perhaps a friend or relative going behind my back and talking shit about my blog—serious stuff, right?!
None of those things. I found out that instead of having only a year of school left, I have at LEAST 2 years to go. You see, after this fall semester, I only have 11 courses to complete for my degree. That’s 3 medium sized semesters which would see me take about a year to complete. No big deal. EXCEPT – I find out that a course that I planned on taking next semester—let’s call it ‘Asshole Course’— is not only offered once per year, it’s got a new PRE-requisite that I have not yet completed. If you do some quick math, you’ll realize that now I can’t take Asshole Course until January of 2014. Not that big of a deal, but Asshole Course is also a pre-requisite for other courses I need to graduate, meaning no graduating for Dylan until 2015.
It’s all a complete mind-numbing brain fuck (pardon the angry lang-y).
So to cope with these indescribably frustrating issues, I threw on a loud, even ‘angry’ music playlist when I got home.
And I turned. It. Up.
With each new tune, my anger vented into the treble and I became a little more at ease, all the while moshing/head-banging in my kitchen and living room like my inner 18 year-old was trying to break out of this 29 year-old shell, in an effort to make sure I got all my pissed-offness out. It’s equally strange and intriguing how loud, angry-ish music can be soothing and actually therapeutic. Cathartic, maybe.
I felt better. Although I’m still frustrated and will figure this whole university shit-show out one way or another, I feel better. If you’re curious as to what tunes soothed—as I’m sure you are!(…)—my angered soul, here they are:
[SONG - ARTIST]
- Oblivion – Mastodon
- Chop Suey – System Of A Down
- Radio - Daniel Wesley [Ya, ya..]
- My Song – Jerry Cantrell
- Graduate – Third Eye Blind
- Brother – Pearl Jam [the sole instrumental on this entire playlist]
- Silvergun Superman – Stone Temple Pilots [I ripped a face-melting air guitar solo to this one]
- Trying Your Luck – The Strokes
- Drain You – Nirvana [easily my favourite Nirvana tune]
- Take It In – Sloan
- Hey You – The Scorpions
- Fortune Faded – Red Hot Chili Peppers
- Can’t Get It Out of My Head – Velvet Revolver [Electric Light Orchestra cover]
- I’m Amazed – My Morning Jacket
- Honky Tonk Woman – Rolling Stones
- Pennyroyal Tea – Nirvana
- No Real Pain – Priestess
- What It Is To Burn – Finch [about as "scream-o" as I ever got]
- Blood – Pearl Jam
- Fix Me – The Doughboys [oh, early nineties rock..]
Sure, sure, these aren’t all loud, mean, pissed-off tracks, but my iTunes was on shuffle and this is what came on, one after the other. And it worked, so bullocks.